With the Chicago winter slowly winding down, many residents are readying themselves for another season: graduation. Many people will have a son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter walking across the prestigious stage this coming spring, and because of the achievement, many families will bring their extended families in from around the area, or across state lines.
Unfortunately, many households may not be readily accessible to those requiring an ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) ramp, or the freedom to move safely within the home. Fortunately, there are some steps to take without spending a fortune:
1. One entrance can be made accessible by a portable ramp. It doesn’t have to be the front door. It can be the back door/patio, especially if the front door is not wide enough.
2. Remove loose carpets or rugs that could make your guest slip.
3. Add bedrails, to make getting in and out of bed easier.
4. Move/arrange furniture to allow a 5-foot turning radius and ensure that it’s easy to get through the house more easily; especially the main areas of the home that guest(s) will need to access (bathroom, living area, kitchen…)
5. Install grab bars in and around toilets, showers and bathtubs to increase bathroom safety.
You can make your life (and their visit) much easier by following the suggestions above. If you have any questions, please call our ramp experts at (800) 876-7267 (RAMP) or visit Handi-Ramp on the web.