When considering the purchase of a horse mounting ramp there are several safety considerations that should be taken into account. PATH International (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International) has a few specifications for safety while the ramp is in use. In this article we review how the three safety criteria apply to Handi-Ramp horse mounting ramps.
Is the mounting ramp(s) as follows:
- 1. Placed in a location convenient to, but not within, the working area of the arena?
- 2. Designed and constructed of materials of a strength and size to accommodate the participants, personnel, equipment and activities for which they are used?
- 3. Set up with a second physical barrier, placed parallel approximately 28” to 36” from the mounting side of the mounting ramp, to keep the equine in alignment with the ramp during mounting procedures?
In response, we at Handi-Ramp follow all three of the PATH safety standards:
- Our ramps are portable and designed to quickly set up and take down in any area. They can easily be placed in the working area of the arena.
- Handi-Ramp horse mounting ramps are made of aluminum with steel legs (supports a weight capacity of 750 pounds). This design accommodates several participants and equipment simultaneously.
- Due to the portability of the Handi-Ramp horse mounting ramp the ramp can be set near any secondary barrier. Handi-Ramp does not supply the secondary barrier.
Additional Safety Features: Non slip surface, Handrails and No stairs
Standard on the ramp itself are the raised buttons providing a safe, non slip aluminum surface. This non slip surface acts as a deterrent to slips, trips and falls in ice, snow and rain. Handrails (either single or double bar) provide additional support by surrounding the ramps walking surface with the exception of the mounting area. In this design the stairs are eliminated and the ramps entrance is the ramp itself.
The Handi-Ramp horse mounting ramp is a popular item due to its simple setup, portability and safety features.
If you are interested in ordering a horse mounting ramp please contact us at 800- 876-7267 or visit our website at www.handiramp.com.