June 29, 2018-“Mr. Fix It” Lou Manfredini talked about a HandiRamp product called People Treads during his WGN HomeSmarts segment, watch the clip below!
People Treads are a great non-slip solution for slick floors in the home where people or pets could use a little extra traction to help prevent slips and falls in the home. The peel and stick translucent non-slip treads can be easily applied on tile, hardwood, and ceramic floors. The treads come in two different sizes, one for Tile that are 6″ x 12″ and the other for stairs and/or wider areas at 6″ x 24″ long. They can also be cut to size if needed.
People Treads are easy to install but to ensure that it is applied correctly and for sustainability be sure to follow the entire installation instructions on how to prepare the surface, apply the treads, and how the treads can be removed if need be.
How to Prepare Surface Before Applying People Treads
- Make sure indoor surface is clean, dry, smooth and above minimum application temperature when applying. Repair or replace any broken or damaged surface. Minimum Application Temperature: 50 F (10 C) Indoor use only.
- Remove chipped, cracked or peeled paint prior to applying Puppy/People Treads™ material.
- Remove loose residue from the surface.
- Use cleaner or solvent wipe to clean surface. After cleaning, allow to dry thoroughly.
How to Apply People Treads
- Complete Surface Preparation Instructions. Do not apply over grout. Can be cut to size.
- Peel off protective release paper. Minimize touching adhesive with fingers.
- Place one corner where you would like the tread to start and smooth down the line as you install the tread. Make sure to push out any bubbles from under the tread. For best results use a rolling pin or wallpaper roller. Start from one corner and push out air bubbles or creases as you lay the tread down. Smooth the edges and ensure a tight seal.
How to Remove People Treads
- Prepare tread for removal by using a heat gun, blow dryer or a hot wet towel to assist in this process. Gently pull up tread material.
- When removing the tread there may be a little adhesive residue left behind, but this is easily removed with an oil-based solvent like goo gone, a citrus-based cleaner or even peanut butter.
- The treads can be removed without damaging hardwood stairs. This is totally dependent upon following surface preparation instructions and the quality of the original stair finish application. If polyurethane or stain was not applied properly, the polyurethane may peel off of the hardwood when you lift the tread.
To view the entire HomeSmarts segment on WGN watch here.
*Note Lou mentions during the segment that People Treads can be used in the shower but this is not suggested. Instead, we have an alternative non-slip shower option Stop The Slip™ Shower Strips and Bath Mats that come in a variety of sizes, to learn more visit: https://handiramp.com/product/stop-the-slip-shower-strips-bath-mats/